Product Description and Author Information
About the Book
The New York Times bestselling author of Multipliers investigates the Most Valuable Players of the workplace and explains what makes them so extraordinary, how others can think and act like MVPs, and how leaders can build an entire team of top contributors.
In every organization there are MVPs— those indispensable colleagues who can be counted on in critical situations and who consistently receive high-profile assignments and new opportunities. Whether they are on center stage or work behind the scenes, Managers know who these top players are, understand their worth, and want more of them on their team. But not everyone understands what makes these professionals different from their peers.
In Impact Players, researcher and bestselling author Liz Wiseman reveals the secrets of these stellar professionals who play the game at a higher level. Drawing on insights from managers at top companies, Wiseman explains what the most valuable players are doing differently and why some people get tapped for the most important assignments while other equally smart, capable people struggle to be seen. Based on a study of 170 top contributors, she identifies five practices that differentiate MVPs:
- Do What Needs to be Done: MVPs tackle the real problems that need to be solved.
- Take the Lead: When it's unclear who's in charge, MVPs assert themselves.
- Finish Strong: MVPs stick with projects through completion, despite obstacles.
- Ask and Adjust: When the situation changes, MVPs learn and adapt rapidly.
- Make Work Light: MVPs make difficult situations easier for the whole team.
Wiseman makes clear that these practices—and the right mindset—can help any employee contribute at their fullest and shows leaders how they can raise the level of play for everyone on the team and succeed in a fast-paced, competitive world.